Meet Your Barista Series: Jessy
Let's meet Jessy!
1. WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO THE COFFEE INDUSTRY? HOW DID YOU BECOME A BARISTA?
Since I was 16, I've always had a “coffee job.” My first job was a barista, I used to be a manager at a drive-thru coffee stand, and for some reason, I have never been able to venture far from coffee. I have always had a passion and taste for specialty coffee, and I just love the evolving industry.
2. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT DARK HEART, AND WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO GROW WITH THE DARK HEART FAMILY?
3. WHAT MAKES DARK HEART SO UNIQUE?SO MUCH! It’s the quality that is crafted in each and every drink. From the hard work that is selected into roasting the espresso, to the carefully curated ingredients in all of the drinks- Dark Heart stands alone. The attention to detail, the inviting atmosphere, and a place where one can try new things, learn about coffee, and beyond makes Dark Heart unlike any coffee shop on the map. Dark Heart is really involved, and it’s a joy to work for a local business that’s also an active part of the community.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DARK HEART DELIGHT TO MAKE, AND WHY?The simple, naked latte, because nothing beats a classic.
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DARK HEART RITUAL TO SIP, AND WHY?I can't choose a favorite! That’s a tough question! I’m anywhere from a simple and classic latte gal, to a mocha vibe… and I love anything iced. There’s just no way to choose.
6. WHAT SPECIALTY COFFEE SORCERY DO YOU USUALLY RECOMMEND TO A FIRST TIME DARK HEART VISITOR?When suggesting a drink for someone visiting for the first time, I usually ask what they usually drink and then guide them by recommending one of our seasonal drink specials. Every drink on our menu is beautifully handcrafted, will never disappoint, and a perfect treat anytime of the day!
7. WHAT ARE YOUR BARISTA GOALS?My goal as a barista is to learn as much as I can! There is so much to learn in the coffee business. Personally, I would love to explore and expand my latte art. I would also love to share my passion for coffee and various brewing methods through teaching. Making coffee approachable and exciting is near and dear to my heart!
8. WHAT ARE YOUR PERSONAL ASPIRATIONS, OUTSIDE OF DARK HEART MAGIC?
I’m currently in school full-time, learning clinical herbalism to one day become a herbal practitioner.
I grew up on a little farm with my family in the Pacific Northwest. I was surrounded with animals and plants, and as a family, we grew our food, raised our own animals, and my parents practiced sustainable farming and herbal medicine making.Growing up on a little farm, combined with my own experiences with holistic healing, has been and is where I found my passion for herbalism. I want to help others understand the power that they possess when it comes to healing, and I want to support others in their journey toward health, growth, and wholeness. I hope to bridge the gap between nutrition and herbalism with clients and to provide an overall holistic approach to health.
9. WHEN YOU ARE NOT AT DARK HEART, WHAT ARE YOU UP TO?
I make resin floral jewelry and have my own little business doing that. (IG: @JewelsbyJessC) I love creating art, I love cooking and gardening, and I love being outside in nature, especially when surrounded by water.
Here in Colorado, I love visiting the Great Sand Dunes, I love camping at Vail, and road trips and camping with Bug (see question 11) are my favorite!