Our Meet Your Barista series introduces our incredible humans who make Dark Heart extra special. Enjoy their stories, coffee magic, personal goals, and all-around awesomeness. Get it, get it, get it. And get inspired!
Let's meet Jacy (and her powerful quote)!
1. WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO THE COFFEE INDUSTRY? HOW DID YOU BECOME A BARISTA?
I didn't start drinking coffee until college (makes sense!) but once I did, I fell in love. My favorite places to spend time have always been coffee shops, even when I didn't drink it. I love the atmosphere and as a (mostly) extrovert, the bustling environment is pleasant. I have had a dream of being a barista for years but could never quite make it happen for a variety of reasons. However, I spent time learning what I could on my own, and then took a chance and applied at Dark Heart. And the Reals took a chance on me!
2. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT DARK HEART, AND WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO GROW WITH THE DARK HEART FAMILY?
I love specialty coffee, and from the start, Dark Heart’s vibe just connected with me. From quality ingredients to unique drinks, the owners and staff care about the products they are serving.
3. WHAT MAKES DARK HEART SO UNIQUE?
Dark Heart works hard to provide specialty coffee in an accessible way. You can ask questions and not be met with condescension or rudeness.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DARK HEART DELIGHT TO MAKE, AND WHY?
I love making cortados because they’re my favorite drink, but they also provide a challenge— you have to get the milk just right and try to get art in way less volume.
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DARK HEART RITUAL TO SIP, AND WHY?
Besides cortados, my go-to is our smokey mocha. I love the dark chocolate with the savory notes from the paprika and black sea salt!
6. WHAT SPECIALTY COFFEE SORCERY DO YOU USUALLY RECOMMEND TO A FIRST TIME DARK HEART VISITOR?
If they are into less sweet drinks/chocolate, definitely the smokey mocha! It’s unique!
7. WHAT ARE YOUR BARISTA GOALS?
I’m working on my latte art— I would love to master rosettas. Also, I would love to have my own shop one day!
8. WHAT ARE YOUR PERSONAL ASPIRATIONS, OUTSIDE OF DARK HEART MAGIC?
I would like to learn Spanish fluently, as well as someday see Iceland and the Amazon rainforest!
9. WHEN YOU ARE NOT AT DARK HEART, WHAT ARE YOU UP TO?
Truthfully, if I’m not here, I can be found working as an advocate at a local nonprofit, reading, or outside.
10. WHY ARE YOU AWESOME? (YES, PLEASE ANSWER IT BECAUSE YOU SO ARE!)
Some favorite things about myself are: I’m adventurous and laid back. I’m pretty much up for anything and believe I can improvise in whatever situation. Those things all combined can be a problem sometimes haha!
11. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE "THING"?
I have a lot of favorite things BUT a random hobby I have is collecting quotes I love-1 from books, movies, overheard, wherever!
A favorite quote- from the Count of Monte Cristo— is: “There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is only the comparison of one state with another. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss. It is necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live…. The sum of all human wisdom will be contained in these two words: Wait and Hope.”